Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Thoughts on Nintendo's E3 Presentation

I could probably sum it up in one word. "Decent" But I think I will go into further detail.



I will first start off by saying that I am an avid Nintendo fan. I love everything Nintendo, games, consoles, merchandise, etc, etc.

That being said, I don't believe that they are perfect and triumph over other companies in all aspects of the gaming world.

With that all out of the way, let me explain to why I think their presentation was decent.

They started off strong. We have been waiting for Pikmin 3 for way too long and I was extremely glad to hear that it is coming to the Wii U. I am guessing it will be a launch title (they may have said it, I'm not sure). The game looks absolutely beautiful and I am sure it will not displease. The only thing that would ruin it for me would be if the game had a timer (like the original one). 30 days isn't enough time to complete the game in a way I would like to do so. I like to diddle around and having a time limit really frustrated me. Overall, Pikmin 3, an awesome announcement.

Next came New Super Mario Brothers U. This game looks great as well. It builds off the success of it's predecessor New Super Mario Brothers Wii. Can't say much about the game except that it looks great and I can't wait to play it. It will definitely be a solid Mario platformer.

After that, there was a lot of talk about third party software. Now, I know Nintendo hasn't gotten much third party support in the recent past with the Wii, but I am glad they are getting some now with the Wii U. We see a lot of sweet games being demoed.

While third party titles are nice and all, I feel first party seemed to fall off the planet. After NSMBU I don't recall any other first party titles being announced. (Nintendoland doesn't count. In my opinion it's just a gimmick but I will have to wait and see for myself). I was expecting more. Maybe a Zelda preview or maybe just a hint at the next Super Smash Brothers? I guess not...

I was really happy with the pre-show by Iwata. Hearing more about the controller is awesome. I really hope it lives up to the all hype that is present.

Like I said, I think the presentation was decent. A lot of solid titles were announced for both the Wii U and the 3DS, but I was just hoping for some more first party software.

What did you think of Nintendo's E3? Do you think they should have brought more to the table or do you think they did a great job? Comment below, I would love to hear your thoughts!

-Tyler




© 2012, Tyler Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment